Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Finished Grumpy Cats





This project was inspired by this lesson from Kathy from Art Projects for Kids (as always, a great source) and this collection of Grumpy Cats I saw on Pinterest. For whatever reason, I didn't use Kathy's helpful tutorial for the kids to draw their cats, hence the wide variety of shapes.( I second guessed myself on this decision after the lesson, but I do like the variety of outcomes).

After my K thru 5th group lightly pencil sketched their cats, I had them use chisel tipped markers to add line work and to give their cats details. Last, they used chalk pastels and charcoal to darken their eyes and add shading to give the look of Grumpy Cat, aka, Tardar Sauce (the internet sensation) The backgrounds were a take on Mark Rothko Color Fields which I had tried before on this cat project. They were created with chalk pastels on black paper. I think they create a great atmosphere to offset their Grumpy Cats.

7 comments:

  1. Big time personalities here! These are so much fun:) And I love those color field backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary I shared this collage on my FB and I have several people asking for a print let me know if we can have prints made, I personally want one myself : ) Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shannah! Tina I will check out Shutterfly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I borrowed this lesson today for a life-saving last moment lesson. Our Grumpy cats are very cute, and the kids loved it, thanks so much!
    :) Elizabeth
    paintersofdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just started this lesson with my Middle School kids. I will link back to you for the idea! So Fun!!! http://2soulsisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!