Thursday, August 16, 2012

Egyptian Tint and Shade Landscapes













It's always interesting to me to learn which projects end up as favorites with my students. Sometimes I just know, other times, I'm surprised. Such was the case with these tint and shade landscapes with Egyptian pyramids - a real crowd pleaser.

After using acrylics to paint our subjects, the children created three different patterns on colored construction paper using Sharpie and oil pastels. We looked at some of the colorful blankets that often adorn camels in the Middle East as inspiration. These were cut up into squares to create a border for their paintings. Work created by 5-10 year olds.

6 comments:

  1. I can imagine they were popular - my students always, always love an Egyptian theme... I love the borders too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really really like these! Were they a collaboration or was each one created by a single student?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! These were each done by individual children. They measure about 14" by 18".

      Delete
  3. Great colorful results using an Egyptian theme.
    My favorite is the one with the Sphinx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking about different subjects for kids to use as silhouettes in front of tint/shade skies. Thanks for helping to broaden my thoughts. I LOVE the overlapped pyramids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - these are really effective! I may begin introducing projects from around the world to my art club - such a good idea! Great for teaching about gradients as well as foreground, middle and background!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    Lisa. (www.bluesparrowsartblog.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!